Monday, 7 April 2014

Book Review – The Happiness Project

“The Happiness Project” by Gretchen Rubin


I bought this book just before Christmas last year and didn't pick it up to read until February – it was 2 days before my operation and I wasn't in a very happy place. I saw The Happiness Project sitting on my bookshelf and it just felt right to start reading.

The Happiness Project is a memoir by Gretchen Rubin who one day while heading home on a rainy afternoon asked herself what she wanted from life and her answer “Well… I want to be happy”. So she spent a full year on strategies, theories and research of happiness and her findings were amazing.

How to change your life without changing your life.

Doing small changes that can make a big difference.

I found this book enthralling, I really felt like I was reading about a kindred spirit. Gretchen isn’t trying to say you have to travel overseas, give up your job (unless you want to) or earn lots of money to be happy – she uses what you already have and shows you ways to be happy and start from where you are in life.

Gretchen also debunks the theory that happiness is selfish – her words: “One of the best ways to make yourself happy is to make other people happy; one of the best ways to make other people happy is to be happy yourself.”

Gretchen also acknowledges yes it’s hard to be happy it takes work and effort and sometimes you don’t feel like being happy – “It is easy to be heavy: hard to be light.”

I would really recommend The Happiness Project for anyone to read. It’s broken down into 12 chapters for each month of the year and it’s such an easy read. I was reading it at work in-between doing my data-entry (shhh don’t tell my boss).

I have found there are some changes in my life already and I'm looking forward to reading her new book which I ordered and arrived last week called “Happier At Home”.

For more information on Gretchen and her books check out her blog www.happiness-project.com

I rate this book 4.5 out of 5.

This is not a sponsored review I just really liked the book and wanted to share my thoughts with you. 
Look out for future book reviews.

Also find me on FacebookTwitterInstagram and Pinterest 

3 comments:

  1. I read this book also. But I just couldn't get into it for some reason. I barely made it half way through before giving up. I rarely do that with books! But glad you enjoyed it and found it insightful x

    ReplyDelete
  2. It sounds like an interested book, I'll have to add it too my reading list.

    Cheers,
    Lynda.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Omg I have this book too! :D I really love it!

    <3 Ling

    Blog: happylingfish.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete